Saturday, December 16, 2006

Can't see the TV for the trees


I've had Comcast Cable for some time now. I'm able to get TV5 Monde a French station via vable. But...I'm not happy with the reception of that one channel. It looses sound, blacks out and shudders. This generally happens during evening viewing. So, I thought I would go Dish. I have a number of challenges for the dish:
  1. There's a fence row behind my house. (Trees along the edge of a field)
  2. I have a finished basement making it almost impossible to run new cable in the walls (Okay, I'll run it on the outside of the wall. Maybe I'll even buy those plastic channels to run it in.)
  3. I have two phone jacks in my house. One in the kitchen, one in the bedroom. Neither in close proximity to where the receiver will be. (Either I install a wireless phone jack or pay $6 a month for not having the phone jack.)
Well, I was getting desperate and called a local installer. He told me as he was looking for the house that he saw mine and said to himself "I hope it's not this one". That was due to the fence row. So we decided that we would need to locate the two dishes (one for domestic and one for TV5) in the fence row. But...They would need to be located about 50 ft from each other and a few small trees (mulberry) and some branches (about 25 ft up some trees) would need to come down or I wouldn't be able to get the signals from the satellites.

So, I guess I get to play lumberjack today.

No comments: