Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Dilemow

I'm one of those guys that mows my lawn in a different direction each time. I alternate between vertical, diagonal, horizontal and diagonal | / - \. I also divide my lawn into 3 zones for mowing; front, back and side. This last Saturday was the day for diagonal heading to the south-west (/). I had finished the front and a quarter of the back yard when I decided that I would take advantage of the way the shade was falling and do the side yard before completing the back. As I was navigating the 19 trees in the side yard I realized that what I had mowed of the back yard I had done diagonal to the south-east (\). Now what was I going to do?
1) mow the entire back yard diagonal to the south-east
2) mow the back yard diagonal to the south-west going over what I had already mowed
3) mow the remainder of the back yard diagonal south-west
What would you have done and why?

6 comments:

Wyza said...

Just finished and left it as it was. One week will make no difference. It takes weeks for a yard to get a bad pattern burned into it from not having a change in the directions.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I would have just finished mowing whatever direction I was going when I figured out the problem. Last week, Josh mowed in the pattern of our outer boundaries until he got to the center...ever tried that?

Monsieur Rodgers said...

I get dizzy if I mow in circles/squares. I can't afford that at my age.

Abacus said...

I would have finished that zone in whatever pattern I had started without going back over anything (I think that means #1).
Liked Andrea's comment about mowing in from the outside. Seems like I do that about once a summer, but get annoyed at the inefficiency by the end...

Timzen said...

I have been mowing grass for 54 years and I no longer concern myself with leaving or eliminating a pattern. The time I now spend mowing is done in walking mindfulness of my stewardship to the earth and of all things given into my care. Of course, I must still watch for dog droppings.

Monsieur Rodgers said...

Timzen,

I laughed out loud when I got to the end of your comment. You had set up a state of spiritual tranquility then quickly brought us back to reality.