Sunday, September 28, 2008

Slice of Life

Barb turned 55 on Sunday. In preparation for her birthday dinner I was preparing ingredients for a salad. Radishes go good in a salad particularly if they are sliced thin. The best way to slice veggies thin is to use one of those Pampered Chef "Ultimate Mandoline" thingy where you slide the vegetable back and forth on it as it slices it. The one that has imprinted on it's plastic surface "Always use food holder to hold items being grated or sliced." Have you ever tried to use the holder with a radish? It's so much easier if you use your hand knowing that you will stop before...OUCH! If I were a cussin' man, this is where it would have occurred. I sliced the end of my thumb. I didn't cut it, I sliced it exposing what I believe were nerve endings. Why else would it hurt when I put it under running water? Well, that was the first radish. I found a way to do the second radish using the food holder. Now, I'm learning how to do things without using my right thumb.

No comments: