Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gee, I bought a movie...two

Now why would I buy a movie let alone two? I must be getting old. One reason to buy a movie is that I really like it and intend to watch it over and over. Another is that it could just be cost effective for me even if I only watch it once and I could watch it on my schedule without worrying about returning it. A third would be that it would be the only way I would be able to see the movie (French films aren't always in stock at the video store.)

I stopped by the Blockbuster near Notre Dame because I knew they generally had a large selection of previously viewed movies and some of them could tend to be foreign due to their clientele. Two movies for $20. I figure that the cost of gas plus tickets for Barb and I could easily exceed the $10 per movie if we saw it in the theater as a first run. Even if we saw it at the second run theater my cost could quickly eat up most of the $10. And if it's a foreign film that I would only be able to see at The Vicker's, I'm talking major cost savings even if I use my senior discount.

I happened to find two movies that I did feel worth a purchase, Ratatouille and Mr. Bean's Holiday. (Confession time. I already saw Ratatouille with my grandchildren at the second run theater.) A video purchase for the grandchildren is always a good expenditure of money. Not to mention the fact that I can now watch it possibly in French. :-) For any who might not be familiar with the movie, it is about a Rat in Paris that wants to be a famous chef.

Mr. Bean's Holiday I have not seen. I do like the Mr. Bean character and since this one takes place in France....

The intriguing item about these purchases though was that after their purchase I looked at their parental ratings. They both were G. I was astonished. I think that it is rare that a movie is created and ends up G. Some in the industry may think that the G rating would be the kiss of death for a movie so they would intentionally spice it up to get a PG or PG13 rating.

Well if you will excuse me, I have some special bonus features I want to watch on Ratatouille, another one of the reasons to buy the film rather than see it in the theater.

No comments: